Adult Workforce Readiness Education
The Aspire Program at Mid-East Career and Technology Centers offers free classes, workshops and programs to help students prepare for their chosen career pathway. For some, this includes completing a high school equivalency diploma, improving basic skills, or transitioning into an adult certification program, college or employment.
Classes and programs available include:
- Adult Secondary Education
- High School Equivalence preparation (GED and HiSET)
- Academic preparation in math, reading and writing skills
- Transition services – helping students develop essential skills for employment and post-secondary education
Official High School Equivalency Tests
Ohio recognizes the GED and HiSET examinations as being the equivalent of a high school diploma. Like a regular high school diploma, passing scores on any of these tests enables the holder the opportunity to obtain employment, apply for career advancement, pursue higher education goals, or to reach a personal goal.
The Ohio High School Equivalence (HSE) provides learners 18 years of age and older, the opportunity to gain the academic skills and credentials needed for postsecondary education and workforce development. Test takers who are 16 & 17 years of age may also apply with approved documentation.
Individuals who are 16 and older, are withdrawn from school and have not earned a high school diploma are eligible to take a high school equivalency test. Parental consent also is required for those who are 16 or 17 years of age.
Orientation and Registration
Prior to attending class, all students attend an orientation to register for class, take an assessment, learn about services and programs, and design a career and academic plan. The orientation helps you to identify your goals, strengths, and interests in order to prepare for a career pathway. The Aspire program offers flexible class times and locations in six counties.
Let us help you to achieve your goals!
To get started, call us at 740-454-7242 or register using the link below.
Testers who are taking a high school equivalency test for the first time can request their $80 voucher below:
GED® test subjects
The four subjects tested on the GED® are Reasoning Through Language Arts (RLA), Mathematical Reasoning, Science, and Social Studies.
Ohio GED® scoring requirements
- The passing score for high school equivalence is 145, for all test subjects.*
- The new “GED® College Ready” performance level (score of 165-174) signifies readiness to enter credit-bearing college courses.
- The new “GED® College Ready + Credit” level (score of 175-200) signifies that a student qualifies for up to ten hours of college credit.
- The GED® test continues to measure the problem solving and critical thinking skills valued by employers and necessary for adults to succeed in the workplace and career or college programs:
- Below Passing: 100 – 144
- Passing Score: 145 – 164
- Passing Score (GED College Ready): 165 - 174
- Passing Score (GED College Ready + Credit): 175 – 200
GED® Fees - The cost of the GED® test is $120. Voucher codes are available by contacting the Career and Academic Readiness Education office at 740.454.7242.
Test takers: must be a resident of Ohio. Only first time test takers are eligible for a voucher code.
To prepare for the GED exams, contact the Career and Academic Readiness Education office at Mid-East Career & Technology Centers by calling 740.454.7242 or 800.350.1242.
HiSET Test subjects
The five subjects tested on the HiSET are Reading, Writing (with essay), Math (calc. optional; whole test), Science, and Social Studies.
- Min score of 0
- Max score of 20
- Passing score of 8 in each section
- (Must also get a 2 out of 6 on the essay piece in Writing)
- 45 total points required to pass
Computer-delivered tests: $18.75 per subtest ($93.75 total cost)
Paper-delivered tests: $23.00 per subtest ($115.00 total cost)
Test takers: must be a resident of Ohio. Only first time test takers are eligible for a voucher code. Voucher codes are available by contacting Career and Academic Readiness Education office at 740.454.7242.
To prepare for the HiSET exams, contact the Career and Academic Readiness Education office at Mid-East Career & Technology Centers by calling 740.454.7242 or 800.350.1242